Wednesday, January 1, 2014

500 Words in 31 Days, Challenge Accepted!


A couple of months ago I found this blog that was talking about becoming a writer. It all started with a manifesto, I read it first thing in the morning as I was sitting on the toilet. Yes you heard me right, I play with my phone on the toilet. Any who, this manifesto really intrigued me, it made me think that writing or better yet, being a writer could be done. So this morning as I woke up one eyed still shut from being out on New Years Eve and took a look at my phone I saw an email again from the writer and the email was the only thing in the inbox that I did not immediately delete. I am not quite sure why I didn't delete it so I opened it, and read it. He was asking me to join him in a challenge. A challenge to write 500 words every day for 31 days. I am often drawn to these challenges, they sound great, but I can never really stick to them as with many things in my life.  I start a project get bored and walk away. It is sad really but the truth is sometimes ugly. I don't do resolutions instead I choose three words that will lead my year. This year I asked my boyfriend to choose. He chose Hustle, Muscle and Respect. In order to hustle I must start and in order to start I have to do. And there he was in this email asking me to DO. So here it is day 1 of a 31 day challenge and I am nervous, excited but nervous. I want my writing to be great, I want it to sound like me, I want to tell stories and reveal my truth, but that is a tall order for someone who can’t finish a project. I want to feel proud of myself and be able to look at the finished project and see a transformation. I want to find my passion, for anything, really. I have this dream of having a book published and have people actually read it and buy it. Im not quite sure what it looks like, is it a how to, a guide for others or is it a story of my life. Its possible it is neither, just a book a story that gets people so wrapped up that they don't even know where they are. You know that feeling of the book finishing and feeling like you have lost your friends. I feel the same way when a tv show or movie ends. They feel like my best friends, like I really know their lives. I know it sounds silly but the idea really intrigues me. Im sitting on my couch at 11:00pm on January 1st of this new year and hoping that this challenge is going to make me stronger, better and maybe even a little bit smarter. As I sip on my way to strong and slightly too sweet hot chocolate, I am feeling quite good. I think I am going to like this adventure that I headed towards. So Jeff, Challenge Accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment